Connect with us

La liga

Emotional Suarez Thanks Atletico Madrid After Laliga Triumph

Published

on

Suarez

 

Luis Suarez guided Atletico Madrid to their first Laliga title since 2014 with the winning goal to earn a vital 2-1 win over Real Valladolid on Saturday evening, Sportivation.com.ng reports.

The 34-year-old joined Atletico Madrid in the summer after he was branded too old by Barcelona and he has proved his former employers wrong by playing a pivotal role in the league triumph.

Valladolid took a shock lead in the 18th minute to rattle the visitors, Atletico missed a host of chances as they tried to find their way back into the game.

READ MORE: Waldrum invites 25 for Summer Series tour of America

Angel Correa showed a moment of brilliance with a stunning goal to restore parity for Atletico Madrid before Luis Suarez scored the winner to wrap up the title celebrations.

The Uruguayan was pictured crying after the final whistle and he expressed his joy and took a dig at Barcelona for disrespecting him.

“Atletico have had an incredible season despite all the difficulties we’ve had. We’ve been the most consistent team and we are champions,” said Suarez.

“Our first half of the season wasn’t normal and neither was the slump we had,”

“The situation I had to live through was very difficult, I was treated badly. But Atletico opened the door for me to prove I was still good enough,” he said.

“It’s tough,” Suarez said to Movistar after the game, fighting back tears. “The situation I had to live through, the way I was looked down on, but Atletico opened the door for me.

“A lot of people have suffered with me – my wife, my children. Day by day, they are the ones who have suffered the most from my many years in football.”

Suarez scored 21 goals for Atletico Madrid in the Spanish Laliga including several winning goals that helped them sealed the title.

 

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

La liga

Barcelona Announce Out Of Court Settlement With Neymar

Published

on

 

Spanish football club Barcelona said Monday they had “ended out of court in an amicable fashion” the various lawsuits with their former player Neymar.¨

“As such, a transactional agreement between the club and the player has been signed to end the legal cases that were pending between the two parties: three claims related to labour and a civil case,” the club said in a statement.

The Brazilian superstar Neymar enjoyed a successful spell at Barca between 2013 and 2017 before joining Paris Saint-Germain for a then world record 222 million euros ($261 million).

He joined Barca in 2013 and signed a new five-year contract in 2016, which included a renewal bonus worth 64.4 million euros. Most ot the lawsuits concern this bonus.

Barcelona paid 20.75 million euros of this bonus before Neymar left for Paris Sant-Germain but then refused to pay the remaining amount, insisting the terms of his contract had been broken.

A Spanish court in June 2020 ordered Neymar to pay Barcelona 6.8 million euros, arguing that he did not have the right to collect the bonus money since he cut short his contract with the club.

Neymar also took FC Barcelona to court to demand three million euros which he argued the club owed him relating to his final month at the Spanish side before he joined Paris Saint-Germain.

Despite their legal disputes, Barca have made several attempts to re-sign Neymar.

But a fresh bid seems impossible for now, given Barcelona’s financial problems as a result of the coronavirus pandemic although the deal to settle all outstanding lawsuits is bound to renew speculation of a possible return.

The 29-year-old remains a popular figure amongst the Barca squad where he formed a devastating attacking trio with Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez during his time at Camp Nou. (AFP)

Continue Reading

La liga

Simeone Extends Atletico Madrid Contract

Published

on

Atletico Madrid

 

Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone has prolonged his stay with a three-year contract extension after leading them to a second LaLiga title under his tenure, the club said on Thursday, according to Reuters.

Simeone, who took over Atletico in 2011, has won eight trophies so far in the Spanish capital – more than any other manager in the club’s history.

“With this contract extension, we continue our exciting project with Diego Pablo Simeone. Fantastic news for the Atleti family,” Atletico said in a statement.

Four members of Simeone’s backroom staff – Oscar Ortega, Pablo Vercellone, Nelson Vivas and Hernan Bonvinvini – have also extended their deals until 2024.

Under the former Argentine international, Atletico have consistently challenged Spanish giants Real Madrid and Barcelona as well as made a mark in Europe.

Atletico won the Europa League in 2012 and 2018 and also twice reached the Champions League final in 2014 and 2016, only to be defeated by local rivals Real on both occasions.

Last season, Atletico clinched their 11th title and first since 2014 with 86 points, two clear of Real in second place.

Former Atleti midfielder Simeone, 51, has managed 527 games at the club, winning 60 per cent and losing 16 per cent. (Reuters)

Continue Reading

La liga

Real Madrid Confirm Sergio Ramos Exit

Published

on

Legendary Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos is to quit the club after 16 trophy-laden seasons, the LaLiga giants announced on Wednesday.

Real said there would be an “act of tribute and farewell” to Ramos on Thursday in the presence of club president Florentino Perez.

Ramos, 35, has struggled with injuries this season and has played just five times since the start of the year.

His 21 appearances for Real Madrid in all competitions is his lowest in 16 seasons playing for the capital club. In all he played 671 games for Real, scoring 101 goals.

Ramos joined Madrid from Sevilla in 2005, the sole Spaniard brought in during Perez’s first stint as president.

He went on to become one of the club’s most successful ever players, having won five LaLiga titles, four Champions Leagues and two Copas del Rey.

This season, however, Ramos has missed games after catching Covid-19 and also because of injuries to his right thigh, his left calf and, most recently, his left hamstring.

He was in Madrid’s squad for the final game of the LaLiga season against Villarreal but did not play.

According to Spanish media, Real and Ramos have not been able to find agreement on a possible extension of his contract which will expire on 30 June.

The club wanted to offer him a one-year deal with a 10 per cent cut in salary in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic, while Ramos wanted a two-season extension, press reported.

The veteran defender was also omitted from the Spain squad for the ongoing Euro 2020.

The absence of Ramos meant there is not a single Madrid player in the Spain squad.

Ramos is the most capped player in the history of the Spanish national team, having played 180 games. With 23 goals, he is also Spain’s eighth-highest all-time goalscorer.

He represented Spain at four World Cups and three European Championships. He was a key member of the squads that won the 2010 World Cup and the European Championships in 2008 and 2012. (Reuters)

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

latest

News12 hours ago

NWFL Premiership: Naija Ratels Embark On Pre-Season Tour Of Lagos, Osogbo, Akure And Lokoja

Newly promoted NWFL Premiership side, Naija Ratels will tour the South-West of Nigeria with matches in Lagos, Osogbo, Akure and...

News1 day ago

Osetoba Reaffirms Commitment To Sports Development In Ekiti

Chairman Ekiti State Sports Council, Hon. Mrs Olusola Osetoba has restated her commitment to develop sports in Ekiti State. Osetoba...

News2 days ago

Amunike Endorses Gulf United Scholarship Showcase in Nigeria

Barely 10 days to Gulf United maiden edition of African football talent hunt in Nigeria, Super Eagles legend and former...

News2 days ago

AITEO CUP: Bayelsa United Technical Adviser Hopeful of Victory Against Rivers United

By Hananeel Jackson The battle for this year’s AITEO Cup Final and a place in the CAF confederation Cup, will...

News2 days ago

Handball Federation of Nigeria (HFN) Appoint Opuene Yekorogha and other Female Coaches To Lead National Junior Teams

The Handball Federation of Nigeria (HFN) have appointed Team Bayelsa’s Head Coach Mr. Opuene Yekorogha and top female handball coaches...

Basketball2 days ago

Olympics: D’Tigers Fall To Germany

Nigeria’s Basketball team, D’Tigers suffered a second consecutive loss at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics after losing narrowly to Germany 92-99...

Fans Corner3 days ago

Meet Ifechukwu Vincent, A Talented Musician And A Barcelona Fan

Ajagwuimo Ifechukwu Vincent is a talented musician, who has mastered the art of dishing out interesting songs with his sonorous...

La liga3 days ago

Barcelona Announce Out Of Court Settlement With Neymar

  Spanish football club Barcelona said Monday they had “ended out of court in an amicable fashion” the various lawsuits...

Trending